Re: rpm being treated as [audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin]

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> I think you're wrong. The reason is the helix realplayer plugin.
>
> Look at about:plugins and see if it exists there.

The problem's multi-fold (if that's a word).

The server MIME types describe the file as *one* of the following:

  application/x-rpm              rpm
  audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin    rpm

The first being Red Hat Package Manager file, the second being Real
Media files.  Both very different types of data, but both using the same
filename suffix.

The server should be configured to use the right one for the right data,
though it sounds like it's not (as is all-too-commonly the case).  Their
MIME configuration identifies the type of data, so you know what you're
getting (hopefully).

The user-agent (web browser, or other agent) should pay attention to the
description of the data type (the MIME information), and handle it
appropriately, as that MIME type is configured to be handled on your
system.  This is where your MIME configuration comes into play (what to
do with what types of data).

In all of that the filename doesn't really matter, although some systems
will use it to try and determine the type of data.  This one, RPM, is a
good example of what's wrong with that methodology.

You can override MIME type file handling, and set your browser to always
treat .rpm files as one or the other, just going by the filename, and
fall into this trap (sometimes handling the wrong type in the wrong
way).  Or you can let your browser handle the data according to the MIME
type description, and still sometimes mishandle the data (because the
server described it wrong in the first place).

There's no really simple way to handle this situation.  Thus far my best
solution has been to let clicked on .rpm ending URIs be treated as Real
Media data, and to right-click and download from any URI that I'm sure
is a Red Hat Package Manager file.  But since it's not always easy to
configure your browser to work in that way, you end up copying and
pasting RPM URIs into some other user-agent that handles Real Media
files.

The *only* *proper* way to handle this (paying attention to the MIME
type descriptions, and configuring your software to do what it ought to
based on that information), will only work when the server is set up
correctly.  The chances are that you'll find more servers sending
out .rpm ending URIs described as Real Media data than Red Hat Package
Manager files.

I read messages from the public lists.