Re: Dell usb memory stick

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:33:49 -0500, akonstam wrote:

>> > I agree with your analysis. /dev/sdb1 would be the device to try. And
>> > the fact that sda is a disk drive screws things up a little. But I am
>> > still concerned that it does not automount. Sounds like udev ,
>> > fstab-sync and maybe hal needs to be talked to harshly.
>> > --
>>
>> I'm not surprised it doesn't automount. The only entry I have in
>> /etc/auto.misc is this:
>>
>> cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
>>
> Ok, the above line is the only commented line in /etc/auto.misc
> but my memory stick automounts. The reason it does is the line in the
> /etc/fstab
> /dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          vfat pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
> --
> Now that line is managed by the fstab-sync system. Clearly your line
> could not be referring to /dev/sda1.
>
> I would assume that you need to edit the fstab-sync files
> and choose another device e.g /dev/sdb1 on which to
> mount the stick. Unfortunately I can't quickly find the file that
> needs editing but a line like the one above needs to show up in your
> fstab file. Maybe someone can come up with the needed changes that need
> to be made.

I don't have that line in fstab, but it doesn't matter. I know how to make
it mount automatically, as long as I know what device the kernel sees it
as. And actually I prefer mounting things manually, so that I know. I
guess in their quest to making things look/behave more and more like the
"other" OS, developers have made the life more difficult for people who
want to know what's under the hood.