Re: Internet isn't accessible after update

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 10:06:44PM -0500, David Ganger wrote:
> Yes the internet did work before i used the up2date feature, It had windows
> me and i wiped that off the hard drive and installed Fedora Core 3. My
> internet connection comes into my xp machine and then is shared to all the
> other computers. So I have two nic cards one is hooked up to the cable
> modem, and the other is sent to the router, and that card is shared so
> others can access it. I hope that helps my friend helped me set it up so i
> am not totally sure of all the lingo or how much more you need to know,
> Thanks for the help.
> Dave
Well call me crazy but depending on the number of machines we are
talking about something seems backwards to me. In most cases you would
connect the router to the cable modem and all the rest of your
machines are connected to the router. Routers are designed to be
routers. You are using your XP machine as a router and XP is not
normally designed to be a router, so I assume some extra software or
configuration is required. All that is unnecessary. At home I have dsl
(but others are doing the same with cable modem service) The dsl goes
to a modem router box (but these boxes could be separate) and two
other machines are connected physically to the router. The router is
also capable of wireless routing so  a third machine (running XP by
the way) gets its internet through a wireless card.
That is the way I would  configure your system.

Weed's Axiom:
	Never ask two questions in a business letter.
	The reply will discuss the one in which you are
	least interested and say nothing about the other.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484