Re: Samba mounted XP Shares and files with "%20" in the filenames

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 18:57 -0400, David Niemi wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 18:40 -0500, Justin Willmert wrote:
> > %20 is the hexadecimal encoding of the space character (decimal ASCII
> > number 32). The web uses hexadecimal codes for many of the character
> > which hold special meanings in the HTTP protocol.
> >
> > As for how it will affect SMB, I don't know (I've never set up SMB before).
> >
> > Hope this helped,
> > Justin
> >
> > David Niemi wrote:
> > > There was a thread a little while ago about fixing the smb mounted XP
> > > shares that had file names with "%20" where all the spaces were but I
> > > can't seem to find it or the resolution. I think it had something to do
> > > with the character set or code pages selected, and I thought I kept it
> > > but I guess I didn't.
> > >

> Not quite, I'd like to know how to fix the character set used to make
> reading the XP files less of a problem.

After some more playing around I have found that if I mount the XP share
with the mount command things start displaying right, where as viewing
through nautilus and the desktop "Computer"->network don't use the
proper codepage for displaying Windows files.

Would this be an adequate fstab line?

//Clo/trans2	/traid/Clo_trans2 smbfs	rw,exec,users,_netdev 0 0