Re: OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

On 8/12/05, Rey Cruz <crxtasy_13@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was looking for a programing language to start learning and my friend
> at work gave me a book called Learning Perl. It's Published by O'Reilly.
> Thought you might want to check it out. I also wanted to ask if you can
> post the links for the tutorials that you found.
>
> Thanks ever so much,
> Rey Cruz
>
> P.S. Wasn't sure if I should ask off or on the list, but figured on list
> was better so others can learn about perl too.

There certainly are no shortage of perl tutorials. I must admit that I
have yet to write anything in perl as I had a (big) test this morning
and was rather preoccupied. After I go through a few tutorials and see
what is relevant and what is redundant, than I will gladly reply with
a few links. Overall, though, perl seems to be a little more object
oriented than is php. I mean by that, that most of the information is
thinking about reusing EVERY PART AGAIN and not just getting work
done. It seems that instead of printing text,, the users of perl are
encouraged to put that text in a variable and then print the variable.
I understand that php5 is also like this, but I've never written
anything in php5 either, as well. Anyway, I'll go learn a little more
and then reply to you with the tutorials that I find most relevant.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/112/carter_aaron.php
Carter, Aaron Song Lyrics