RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 18, Issue 122

> > I want to print to network printer from my linux box, which
> > software do I
> > have to install and config?
> >

> >As root run:
> >system-config-printer
> >(on FC1 and earlier run redhat-config-printer)
> >
> >Choose new on the printer and then choose Networked Windows SMB
> >as the printer type.
> >
> >You may need to make sure you have
> >the SMB (samba) packages installed.  I always
> >have them installed, so I am not sure if they
> >are required for an SMB printer.
> >
> >You can also access this config dialog from the
> >start menu -> system-settings -> printing
> >
> >Bob Styma
>
> I have to clarify it. The network printer is on the network,
> on attached to
> my linux box.
> I assume the way you told is to configure my linux box as a
> network printer
> server. I want to use my linux box just as client and to
> print to network.
> Correct me if I am wrong.

You have serveral choices when adding a new print queue
with the system-config-printer dialog.  You can till the
dialog the printer is locally attached and it will show
you what it thinks is attached to your machine.  This is
under the section on "queue type".

>From the pulldown you can also choose networked CUPS which
is useful for if the printer is attached to a different Linux
box.  The option your intial request seemed to indicate would
be "networked windows (SMB)".  This is for a printer attached
to a windows box which is on the network.

Note that for this to work, you have to turn on print sharing
on the windows box so the printer becomes visible to the
network.  This is under the properties on the "Network Neighborhood"
icon on the desktop.  You then have to look at properties for
TCP/IP for your network card in that dialog.

Bob Styma