Re: Strange thunderbird sending problem... [solved]

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

Tony Nelson wrote:

At 7:31 PM +0200 8/11/05, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
I've started getting this error in thunderbird, I thought I'd ask if
anyone has seen this before...

"An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded: unknown
user. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail
preferences and try again."

It only happend sometimes and I'm not sure what the pattern is. Anyone
have an idea, and no it's not my Mail preference - it works fine most of
the time.

SElinux is disabled, and setting smtp as a trusted service didn't help
(i've set it back again)

I expect that you aren't sending through your own SMTP server, but through
a server provided by your ISP or MSP.  This might be an authentication
issue with them. In my case, I'm using (the default) POP before SMTP hack,
where if I've checked mail "recently", I'm allowed to send mail.  If I
haven't checked mail "recently" I get a scary error message that I'm
unknown.

If you are using some more sophisticated authentication, such as SMTP AUTH,
this probably isn't your problem.

I've found the problem. Oddly enough it's one of the addresses in the email I tried to send. Why it didn't just send them all out and let me collect the bounced failures I don't know... I've spoken to the guy with the address and got a valid address from him.

Still, odd problem.

I wonder if the "problem" isn't your mail provider (ISP?). Perhaps the address you had was so mal-formed that the ISP cold make no sense of it, and bounced the entire transaction. I think that would happen if, for instance you had no "@" in the address, which is different than having an address that looks complete, but does not exist ( in this case the ISP would not find out about the address 'til the mail was bounced).

Scott