Re: FC2 with HP DESKJET 870 Problem

Klaasjan Brand wrote:
On 8/12/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

print fine. When I print page 5 (per Acrobat numbering,
page 4 by the document numbering, has large font
Chapter 1 at top) the printer stops printing, and the
power and form-feed lights start flashing alternately.

Is that Deskjet connected via the parallel or an USB port?
There are some "bugs" in the USB chip used in the Deskjet 800 series,
if that's your problem there may be a workaround.

Klaasjan

Thanks very much for the response.

The printer is connected to a parallel port.

The following are facts, not criticisms. I was pleased to
see how easily Gnome was able to install my printer, and
set up the queue.

First, GNOME PDF Viewer 2.8.2 cannot display that PDF. All
sheets show as completely blank. Acrobat 5 acroread displays
it with no problem. I had to look with Acrobat, find the page
I needed to print, switch windows to GNOME PDF Viewer, and
print the page blind, then go back to Acrobat.

Second, it appears (didn't do exhaustive checking) that
major divisions cause the problem. (Font downloads? Maybe I
need a new cable? This one might not be impedance-controlled?
But why can Viewer print the same page acrobat cannot? See below.)

Third, although GNOME PDF Viewer 2.8.2 cannot *display* the PDF,
it can *print* it. Well, most of it. Perhaps eight (8) of the
pages could not be printed by it.

Fourth, all but one (1) of the pages that GNOME PDF Viewer cannot
print, Acrobat can.

Fifth, neither Acrobat nor GNOME PDF Viewer can print entirely
the first page of Chapter 12 (numbered page 40 in the document,
41 by the viewers). One of them (I believe GNOME PDF Viewer) was
able to print down to "12.2 Getting the Windows drivers". Neither
tool was able to print that section head. IIRC, Acrobat printed
only the heading "Chapter 12", after which the printer ejected
the page, and started blinking Power and FormFeed lights,
alternately. GNOME PDF Viewer was able to print down to, but
not through, that heading, after which the printer ejected the
page, and started the same blinking. I copied the text from
the page by hand using a pen for the rest of the page.

Sixth, GNOME PDF Viewer has no option to print just the even
or just the odd pages, nor does the driver have a two-sided
print option. This is a major pain when doing two-sided
printing. (I was.)

Seventh, GNOME PDF Viewer would not automatically switch to
"print a range of pages" when the range was modified. On a
few occasions I forgot to click the radio button after
modifying the range to print, and had to cancel a job.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.