Re: OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>Furthering my research, it would seem that perl is good for this, as
>it appears to be installed in many more machines than python. Or
>should I go with C? lso, as I understand it, if I write in C I can
>compile for both windows and linux. Is that correct?

Are you planning to write big stuff?  C or python
Are you planning to mostly write small stuff?  python or perl
Are you planning to go back months or years later and re-work your
programs?  python

I focused my language learning on python because I write things that are
used in the administration of systems (Oracle databases, linux servers)
and it is the one language that has the rich libraries I need to do most
anything, flexible and powerful data structures, AND easy-to-read code
meaning that I go back to old programs or look at someone else's code
and easily understand what I or they did in the code.

Everyone will have their own language preference; develop yours by
solving a problem in more than one language and see which one you
enjoyed more.

--Glenn