Re: Downgrade from devel to FC4

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 08:53 +0200, Radek Vokál wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 07:43 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 08:29 +0200, Radek Vokál wrote:
> > > Is there a way how to downgrade my current machine to base FC4 with
> > yum?
> > > I did some rawhide updates and my box is kinda messy now :)
> >
> > It depends how much mess you made.
> >

> You'd better not ask :) Whole gnome got update and it picked up
> dependencies on xorg, glibc and others. Now gnome desktop and especially
> nautilus seems to be broken (bug already filed) but turning it back to
> the old days would be nice and I'm afraid that there's no easy way how
> to do it ..

I had a couple of machines I downgraded from rawhide shortly after FC4
came out; seemed to work OK. Don't know how well this would work now
though.

What I did was: take the output of "yum list extras" and edit it so that
you've got a list of packages to downgrade; these should be the packages
that are on your system that are different from the versions in other
repos you have enabled (development must be disabled, obviously). Call
the resulting file "packagelist". Remove from this list any packages
that you installed manually, not using yum.

Then, make a temporary directory for downloading the FC4 versions of the
remaining packages, and change to that directory. If you haven't
installed "yum-utils" from Extras yet, do so:

# mkdir fc4files
# cd fc4files
# yum install yum-utils

Then download all the FC4 versions of the packages you need to
downgrade:

# yumdownloader $(cat ../packagelist)

Then try downgrading:

# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage *.rpm