fc4 gnome cd player

Hi All,

I'm using Fedora Core 4.  Everything seems to work
alright except for the audio CD player in Gnome.  When
I put an CD in the drive the player opens but when I
press play it returns to pause immediately.  This
machine ran Red Hat 9 for about a year without this
problem.

Kernel: 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4

Does anyone know how I could solve this problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul