Re: Video experience for Windows Media (Player 10) etc..

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 15:55 -0300, Ted Gervais wrote:
> Was wondering if there is anything that will take the place of the
> 'Windows Media Player'  which wants to be used when trying to view videos
> while in www.cnn.com .
>
> I occasionally like to look at the various video clips that come with the news
> website and it asks me to 'GET PLAYER' when I click on these videos.
>
> Am I out of luck when trying to view these news videos when I am running
> Linux?  Or is there a way around this obstacle??

I recently tried to get a clip off of MSNBC for for my wife (we don't
have any Windows machines in our house so using Firefox/mplayer/mplayer-
plugin) and I was not successful.  The good folks at MSNBC have
everything locked up so tight that if you don't have Windows,IE and
Windows Media Player you can't view the video clips.  The same goes for
anyone running a MAC - they can't view any of the content as well.  It's
kind of scary, first Bill Gates wants to control the software that we
all run on our computers and then he wants to control the media that we
see to stay informed.

My 2 cents.

Charlie