Re: Video experience for Windows Media (Player 10) etc..

Ted Gervais wrote:

At 04:11 PM 8/9/2005 -0300, you wrote:

Hi,

Em Ter, 2005-08-09 às 15:55 -0300, Ted Gervais escreveu:
> Was wondering if there is anything that will take the place of the
> 'Windows Media Player' which wants to be used when trying to view videos
> while in www.cnn.com .
>
> I occasionally like to look at the various video clips that come with the news
> website and it asks me to 'GET PLAYER' when I click on these videos.
>
> Am I out of luck when trying to view these news videos when I am running
> Linux?  Or is there a way around this obstacle??

You could install mplayer + mplayer plugin for mozilla/firefox or the
plugin along with any other player based on mplayer, like kmediaplayer.
Personally, I prefer kaffeine+kaffeine plugin, because I like better to
watch the clip on a separate, redimensionable window rather than
embedded in the web page. Such sites often offer clips in real player
format, which is available for Linux as well.

I will look at that, but doesn't that news site look for (specifically) the Windows Media Player. And if that is the case, it wouldn't matter what Linux utility you might have installed that would play these videos.
Or am I wrong on this??

They do look for media player, but offer the option to continue to the videos (which work great with MPlayer BTW)

Scott

[]'s
Marcelo