Re: I2O + raidutils support

Peter wrote:
Hi all,

first, please let me say that I'm new to this list. I actually HAVE
searched the archives and I HAVE used google a lot on this, but now I'm
posting.

I'm running a box that has undergone several 'yum update's since it
exists, currently 'uname -r' says: 2.6.12-1.1448_FC5smp

My problem is: somewhere along the way the little bash script I wrote,
that uses 'raidutil' (from http://i2o.shadowconnect.com/) has stopped
working and doesn't report the status of the Raid anymore, which makes
monitoring a bit... hard.

I use an Adaptec ASR2010S. F.e., the output of 'raidutil -L controller'
is:

Engine connect failed: COMPATIBILITY number
osdIOrequest : File /dev/dpti17 Could Not Be Opened

I have found instructions, among which are to recreate /dev/dpti0 up to
/dev/dpti17, but the end of the story seems to be that the driver dpt_i2o
has been replaced by i2o_block and now needs a patch to work. The patch is
available at the i2o site, but since I'm a little frightened to actually
recompile my own kernel, here's my question:

When will those patches finally be integrated in the downloadable kernel
packages, so that raidutil support will function again?

Thanx in advance for reading this sermon :)

Cheers,
Peter.

uh, anyone.... ?

Well, first off, you're using an experimental kernel (FC5 is for
Fedora Core 5 which hasn't been released yet) so this question is more
appropriate for the fedora-developer list than this one.

I'd guess is that the patches (if any) would be included in the release
version of FC5.  However, since the device driver will be renamed, you
probably need to poke shadowconnect (who maintain raidutil) in the ribs
and ask them if they have an FC5 beta version of raidutil you can use.

Better yet, downgrade your kernel to a released one.  If you want to
work with beta code such as FC5, this is the kind of thing you'll have
to expect.

Sorry we can't be of more help, but with beta code, "caveat emptor!"
Or should that be "Non Illigitum Carborundum?"
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-               Duct Tape + Magic Marker = Label Maker!              -