Re: FC4 & Maxtor USB One Touch 300GB drive.

William H. "Will" Du Chene wrote:
Hi list.

I seem to have a bit of a dilemma here, and I was wondering if anyone would care to volunteer some thoughts? I purchased a Maxtor 300gb external USB drive, and attached it to one of my computers - a Compaq Presario 5000 running a fresh installation of Fedora Core 4 that I download a couple of days ago.

Everything seemed to be working correctly. I blew away the partition that was on the Maxtor drive and created a new one, and mounted the drive up as usual. Now here is the wierd part: from the box, everything is working fine. I can copy backups onto the drive, and use it as normal. When I try to share out a directory on the drive using Samba, however, I receive errors from the client machine which prevent access to the directory on the USB drive. In the error log, I have a single message which tells me that the "<directory in the filesystem> does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to <sharename>."

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

This is probably an SELinux issue. Is the partition you're trying to use a Linux partition or is it formatted VFAT?

What's the output of:

# audit2allow -i /var/log/messages -l
# audit2allow -i /var/log/audit/audit.log -l

Paul.