Re: ATI Radeon 9800

Robert Bell wrote:
This is probably my biggest gripe about running linux. I know its a vendor issue but its irritating none the less. I'm trying to get GL support for my Radeon in FC4. I've tried the ATI driver (8.14.13) but the module doesnt compile. The readme says it supports 2.6.11 but doesnt say if it will break on 2.6.12 (I'm running 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4). THis is what I get in the log for that:

Next I tried the packages from Livna. These seem to install OK but appear to be unstable. Even though my dual head confif is "Big Desktop" it starts up in "Clone" and any attempt to change it locks the system, and requires a hard boot.

Has anyone gotten fglrx drivers running on FC4 in a big desktop configuration? Is NVIDIA any better? I'd hate to scrap a really good (and expensive) card but I am at wits end.

When I got my new computer I got a ATI9600 card as I liked ATI for years and they had Linux drivers on their site. Good choice, at least I thought.

After almost a month of fighting, I gave up and purhcases a nVidia card. In less than 30 minutes from store to computer I was up and running with full GL support using the nVidia drivers (not rpm's).

FWIW, a friend of mine that is a Windows only user, and a big ATI fan is also upset with the latest ATI drivers.

I hate to say it but nVidia but getting a nVidia card can save alot of headaches.

--
Robin Laing