Re: cups port problem.

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:25:25PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I am really drained now bit I intend to post the horror story I have
> > been living to get our printers configured.
>
> Did you directly edit any of the /etc/cups/*.conf files?
Yes I did . You have to to make it work as it should,`

> I got CUPS working this way,
> after unsuccessfully trying system-config-printer
> (or the equivalent Start=>System Settings=>Printing)
> and also the web interface at <http://localhost:631/>.
The first step in getting the CUPS web interface to work is to rename
system-config-printer so no one will ever run it. If one runs it it is
bound to change (that is ruin) the web interface printer definitions
so they all say this printer must be configured with
system-config-printer. I will post details presently but my strong
advice is if you want to configure printers using the CUPS web
interface NEVER, NEVER, NEVER run system-config-printer especially if
you are going do an edit on one of the printer configurations. That is
the kiss of death.

> (Am I alone in finding the system-config-* wizards
> in general extraordinarily bad?
> I've tried the display, mouse, sound, printing and network wizards,
> and the only one I'd give any marks to is the last,
> and I'd only give that 5/10 .)
I find then very helpful except system-config-printer if you really
want the cups printing system to work correctly then do not configure
printers as lpd since that is not the protocol that cups is designed
to handle.