Re: Is SATA hard drive supported by Fedora?

Hongyu Sun wrote:

On 8/4/05, Arthur Pemberton <dalive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hongyu Sun wrote:

Dear All:

My computer is Dell OptiPlex GX280

From the specification on
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/optix_gx280?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

the hard drive is

Serial ATA 40, 80, 160 and 250GB 7200 RPM hard drives with S.M.A.R.T. II

To install Linux, I want to add a hard drive.

The Dell website recommended product is

    MAXTOR
    100 GB 7200 RPM OneTouch II USB External Hard Drive
    $127.46

It is surprising that an external hard drive is recommended. But what
is more confusing is this website,

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Seems serial ATA is not supported by Linux. So probably I have to buy a USB
external hard drive. I wonder if Fedora support serial ATA or external
USB or neither?

Many many thank,

HS

Works for me. But I did not attempt RAID.  Shows up as /dev/sda. I love
SATA now.

A good news. Could you please tell me the exact type and model of the SATA?
Hitachi 80GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-150

My comptuer is Dell OptiPlex GX280

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/optix_gx280?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

So the hard drive is

Serial ATA 40, 80, 160 and 250GB 7200 RPM hard drives with S.M.A.R.T. II

I went to support.dell.com -- product support --upgrade
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/upgrades/en/hub?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn
and input the service tag

the recommended product is http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/Category.aspx?category_id=5683&srvctag=3MQ3Y61&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

     MAXTOR
     100 GB 7200 RPM OneTouch II USB External Hard Drive
     $127.46

It is surprising that an external hard drive is recommended. Dell even
did not tell me where to buy a SATA.

So another question is can USB external drive install Linux? Can it be bootable?
To the best of my knowledge, yes to both questions. However I'd do some further research before spending any money.

Many many thanks,