Re: making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

On Thu August 4 2005 9:09 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
Ok, I've got a clue. I had been playing with Mepis for the past few weeks, and
it comes with a SMB/CIFS browser called Smb4K. I installed this program on my
FC4 machine a few days ago. It has been up and down since, but tonight, I got
it started, and one thing it does is scan the available machines on the
network and return a list of machines and IP addresses. It's returning the
StudyPC machine, but with the same internet address I was getting the other
day. So, instead of resolving StudyPC to the local Windows machine on my
network, it's doing a DNS lookup on the internet and trying to connect to
that address. I'd removed the "search com" line from my resolv.conf file,
but, it persists in this behavior. The documentation for this program is
sparse, and there seems to be no way to curb this behavior through any of the
available configuration windows. I'd be willing to remove this package at
this point, but I'm not sure how, as I installed it from source
using ./configure, make, make install - I'm not even sure that would solve my
problem. I did try reinstalling the package just now, hoping my altered Samba
settings would improve matters, but no cigar...

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA