Re: cannot install Redhat Linux

On 8/4/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hongyu Sun wrote:
> > On 8/2/05, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Hongyu Sun wrote:
> >>

> [enough for attributions]
>
> >>10 gig is a bit small for a modern Linux installation. Ext3 is a common
> >>choice for Fedora.
> >

> > I am thinking I will buy a new piece of hard drive. Will that work?
> > Seems Fedora only recognize 4 partitions. My current hard drive
> > already have 4. Will Fedora recognize the new hard drive?
>
> Certainly a new drive will work if you set it up.
>
> You seem not to understand partitions very well. I'll give you a
> little tutorial, then perhaps you will have a better feel.
>
> There are four (4) levels of format on a hard drive. (Actually,
> even on floppies there are 3, but they get kinda munged together
> by the tools.)
>
> Level 1 (also called low level format): This lays out tracks, sectors,
> etc. on the platters. With modern drives this should only be done
> once by the manufacturer. This is the physical level format.
>
> Level 2: This installs a Master Boot Record (MBR) and Partition Table
> (PT) on the drive. Some consider the PT to be part of the MBR, some
> consider it separate. Each of the partitions looks like a drive
> (more or less) to the software. The idea is that different OS can
> "own" each of the partitions. (There are additional, no longer relevant,
> legacy addressing reasons for separate partitions.) Each partition has
> a "start address", an "end address", a "type", and a "boot" attributes
> associated with it. Inside the MBR is a little program which the
> BIOS loads into memory and executes. This bootstrap looks for a
> partition with "boot" (some say "active") set. There is supposed to
> be only one set. Now, some boot managers are able to manage
> "multi-boot" (like GRUB) so they may ignore the "boot" attribute.
> YMMV. Anyway, most (all?) MBRs only allow 4 partitions, which may be
> either Primary or Extended. Many MBRs only allow one primary.
>
> Level 3: This creates volumes (some say "logical drives"). Each primary
> partition can have at most one volume in it. An extended partition is
> allowed to have multiple volumes. In effect, an extended partition is
> an extension of the partition table. So volumes created inside
> an extended partition are in effect partitions themselves. Anyway,
> each volume has a Boot Record (BR) on it. That's where I have
> GRUB installed on my machine, not in the MBR. The BR has a little
> bootstrap in it which is particular to the OS installed on
> that volume, and which knows how to start that OS.
>
> Level 4: This creates file systems which can be mounted and read
> and often includes an hierarchical directory system.

> Without more information, no more help is available. What does
> "it just does not work at all" mean?

> Is this what you mean?

> Umm, you are not quite running Red Hat. You are running Fedora Core,
> which is not the same thing.

Hi, Thank you very much. But do I have to find exact Red Hat 9.x?  Can
Fedora Core do the same work of Red Hat 9.x? Seems Red Hat is not free
any more? I can find a free Mandrake (www.linuxiso.org) which is
mentioned on that software distribution platform list
(http://software.sci.utah.edu). But I was told I am better off using
Redhat and then was given this fedora link.

Thank you,