Re: won't boot off iso cd

Mike McCarty wrote:
Anne Ramey wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Anne Ramey wrote:

Yes, BIOS is set to boot of CD. It asks me to choose another boot method or insert bootable media. As I mentioned, it just doesn't work for 64 bit iso, a friend's 386 iso boots, but doesn't allow me to rescue the system because of the incompatibility. This same 64 bit iso disk rescued my other 64 bit system. I even made another copy, thinking it had somehow turned into a coaster in between systems. No luck.

Anne

When you say you made another copy, do you mean you duplicated
the disc? If so, and it has a problem, then so will the duplicate.
If you started from another ISO image and burnt a new CD from
that, then that would be an entirely different matter.

Mike

I mean I downloaded another copy of the iso and burned a new disk of the same thing.

Anne

Then you have some problem with either:

    BIOS settings (but you say you've checked)
    BIOS ROM (old version, corrupted FLASH, etc.)
    CDROM drive (have you tried swapping it out?)
    cables
    kernel can't recognize it's on a 64 bit machine
    something else

Mike

Just to chime in here...maybe running a bootmanager floppy might work? I know I've had to do this in the past. I don't have the URL on hand, but it's a sourceforge project...google should turn it up.

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749