Re: Our (US) $s at work.

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 8/1/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Craig White wrote:

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 14:40 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 8/1/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Would you please explain to me how my machine automagically knows it
needs to change the content of a file on its disc when the legislature
makes a change to the way DST works?

[snip]

Mike

$ man yum

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/325/marcy_playground.php
Marcy Playground Song Lyrics

I already know how to use yum. Please respond to what I wrote
rather than to what you read.

----
you sure ask a lot of questions...

'updates-released' is checked against the local cache and new updates
are thus recognized and downloaded if/when appropriate. Of course, if
you knew how yum worked, you would know that.

As for how and when updates are released, that of course is up to the
packagers.

Craig

How does one get through to you? I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO USE YUM. I KNOW
HOW IT WORKS. READ WHAT I WROTE.

You again responded to what you read rather than what I asked.

Is English your first/primary language?

The purpose of my questions is to point out that the fellow wanted to
know how to update the files *HIMSELF* and the only responses he's
getting are from people like you who cannot/will not respond to the
question AS ASKED.

The answer to my question, AS ASKED, is "It is impossible for your
machine automatically to change the configuration files by itself
when your local government passes a new ordinance."

And the answer to the OP's question is so far not yet given.

Mike

You are referring to two different "you"'s. I was the first one who
anwsered your question, then you got pissed at me. Craig was the
second one who gave you the same answer, then you yelled at him as if
he was me, repeating what I had said.

First: Sorry I blew my top. Also, I should have checked my attributions
more closely.

And just so you know, the most helpful people on this list are not
nessacarily the native English speakers (Dalloz comes to mind). And

Never thought so.

the next time that you want me to answer a question, you can go ahead
and ask in hebrew, so that you will be sure to get an answer that
satisfies you.

Lest you think that I am foreign-language challenged, I speak two
languages fluently (English is not my first language, though it
is now my language of choice) and enough of a third that I have
been mistaken for being a native speaker by native speakers on
three occasions.

And me and Craig and others won't have to try so hard to understand
you. Or you can just appreciate them.

The issue in this particular case was the use of the rhetorical
question. It might be the sort of thing that a non-native speaker
might not recognize.

An extended version of the answer to your question: When American
lawmakers go and change their timezones, lots of non-native english
speakers write little files and put them in yum repros, so that you
can download them and update your system. And I hope you don't mind a
native Finnish speaker developing your next kernel.

I don't care about that. I suspect that you have used some equipment
I worked on to make phone calls long distance.

Mike