Re: FC3 -> FC4 Fresh install, keeping /home

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 05:05:09AM -0400, David Niemi wrote:
> Finally going to bite the bullet and update my main machine, one
> question though.
>
> How will I have to handle existing user directories and information on
> the /home partition if I do a fresh install of FC4?  What will happen
> when during the first run I have to create a user and this user's
> directories etc already exists? I am going to back up all the
> information to DVD anyway as well as leaving copies on other partitions.
>
> Also, will my raid0 drive (data drive) cause / be a problem?

Back up all the critical directories, /home, /root and maybe /var if
you have mail there, into tar file/ Store the files somewhere where
they can be accessed later (a RW CD maybe). Install the new operating
system. Then untar the tar files using the -k option. This option
does not install files with the same name in the directory. Or untar
the tar file in /tmp and copy files from the old etc, for example,
that you want to retain.

These two re-install methods will do the job.

If you try to please everyone, somebody is not going to like it.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484