Info about modem usb installation

Hi,
I have instaled one usb modem, when I have checked the configuration with
the dmesg command, the modem was installed, but I haven't found the correct
device.
What is the correct name for the device to comunicate with usb modem?
The distribution that I'm using is fedora core 3.
Thanks in advance for all information.
Yours Sincerely
Sauro Cesaretti