Re: Did I make a mistake in starting with Fedora Core 4?

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

   Thanks for the words of encouragement, Jim.
The main reason I switched to to Fedora was because I was already doing the bulk of my work with open source software. Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice are what I use 90% of the time on my computer. So even though I knew Fedora was not as "plug and play" as Windows, I thought it would be workable since these programs were native to Linux. I expected it not to find things like my Canon scanner and my Kenwood USB audio connection, as those are a bit obscure as hardware goes. But, happily, Fedora detected them and they work fine. Having a major deficiency like not being able to read data DVDs was unexpected. Especially as Fedora installed just fine from one of the DVD drives that it now won't reliably read. If I can get past this one obstacle, I would love to continue using Fedora. There's a lot I like about it. And I'm willing to learn UNIX/Linux commands to settle into the environment. But I don't think I'm being unreasonable in thinking that Fedora should at least read from DVD/CD-ROM drives, that I'm not being a particularly whiny user in wondering why there are difficulties with this basic hardware.

I had to grab some files that were burned on a DVD+W disc that was 8x to put on my server that has a DVD-RW 4x recorder and the system lockup up hard for me. I never experienced such a lockup and would not think the Defective DVD would bring down the system. With your comments and the fact that you could put a defectively burned DVD in your reader, bringing down the system is not something expected. Since it is hardware, I could see how this could cause serious problems, but a method to release discs that are fouling up should be a bit safer. These discs had fingerprints, scratches and probably were burned at their maximum speed.

I believe that since the way devices are dealt with recently with udev and dynamically created nodes for devices instead of a slew of devices under /dev is problematic since this is such a recent concept.

For your problem with getting the DVDs to eject, I have seen this where I have a SAMBA share for the dvd recorder. I can see where you are going with your concern for more reliability with dealings with DVDs.

CDROM/DVDs seemed to have problems in different phases of development. They used to have problems caused by a program called fam which tracked changes in files so programs would be able to use the info so they would work quicker. The program also polled the DVD/CDROMs often causing the devices to be unmountable. Killing this program was common discussion. The program was replaced by other programs which perform similar tasks that fam used to handle. I don't know if they poll the DVD/CDROMs or not, the files should be unchanged unless the device was written to or changed media. Polling the device after the initial read and when the disc was not changed is pointless and probably causing trouble with not being able to eject your discs. Sticking around and reporting troubles in the bugzilla should get projects aware of things that don't work correctly. Hopefully the method adopted for dealing with devices is considered a good idea for awhile and has time for it to be improved.

Going back to the command line options to get your CDROM/DVD to eject. I have used the -l option for mount to unmount the drive so I could later eject it with eject. I believe the -l option for umount is referencing lazy as an option.

umount -l /media/cdrecorder or whatever your recorder/reader is referenced as should allow you to run the below to eject the media.
eject hdc or whatever the device is referenced as should eject the media.

Filing a bug report or adding information about your "me too" bug report gives the developer ammo to correct the problems you encounter using Linux.

Jim

BTW - the defective DVDs that I encountered were burned on a windows machine. They acted funny on the windows machine, but did not bring the machine to a halt. (Switching into CDROM mode for a DVD, not reading the discs or not reliably reading the media. Both systems need continued attention to make things work more reliably.)

To answer your question if starting out with FC4 was a mistake, not in my view. This release basically has what is in for the future releases and is most interesting. If you want a more conservative system, trying either a Redhat supported release with a longer life cycle and where things are held back to a slower pace, plus have tech support. You can also go with one of the clones which recompile the source to mirror the redhat releases, but lack the tech support option.

Fedora has a short lifecycle like a bug, but is not intentionally set out to be a swarm of bugs. When the 2 week release cycle is adopted, it will be closer to a bugs lifeycle and will become harder to distinguish any differences. :)

Dave