Re: Did I make a mistake in starting with Fedora Core 4?

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

   Thanks for the words of encouragement, Jim.
The main reason I switched to to Fedora was because I was already doing the bulk of my work with open source software. Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice are what I use 90% of the time on my computer. So even though I knew Fedora was not as "plug and play" as Windows, I thought it would be workable since these programs were native to Linux. I expected it not to find things like my Canon scanner and my Kenwood USB audio connection, as those are a bit obscure as hardware goes. But, happily, Fedora detected them and they work fine. Having a major deficiency like not being able to read data DVDs was unexpected. Especially as Fedora installed just fine from one of the DVD drives that it now won't reliably read. If I can get past this one obstacle, I would love to continue using Fedora. There's a lot I like about it. And I'm willing to learn UNIX/Linux commands to settle into the environment. But I don't think I'm being unreasonable in thinking that Fedora should at least read from DVD/CD-ROM drives, that I'm not being a particularly whiny user in wondering why there are difficulties with this basic hardware.

Dave

Make sure you have the latest version of the kernel! The other day, a new kernel update fixed a problem I'd had with a certain DVD title causing a kernel panic every time I tried to load and mount it. With the current version (2.6.12-1.1398_FC4), that problem is now solved.

Temlakos