Re: Installing FC4 from iso images

Kam Leo wrote:
On 7/13/05, M.Lewis <_fedoralist_@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 18:46 -0500, M.Lewis wrote:

I understood from this posting that it was possible to install FC4
'without' extracting the files from the iso images via the install from
hard drive method. Does this also work for NFS, HTTP, or FTP installs or
only the install from hard drive method. I've not been able to find any
information on this.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=111888238112836&w=2

I tried this via the NFS install method and got the message "The
following ISO images are missing which are required for the install: CD
#2". It worked fine without extracting the iso images up to that point.

The method works for NFS too and is my installation method of choice.

Hard disk installs and NFS installs can use this method because the
installer can "see" the ISO images on the filesystem and loopback mount
them locally. This doesn't apply for HTTP and FTP installs, so those
methods require that the contents of the ISOs are extracted server-side.

What do you have in your FC4 install directory on the NFS server?

# ls -l /path/to/isos

Paul.

Thanks Paul. What am I missing?

[cajun@moe FedoraCore4]$ ls -l
total 2610384
-rw-rw-r--  1 cajun cajun   6711296 Jun  6 21:39 boot.iso
-rw-rw-r--  1 cajun cajun 665434112 Jun 16 22:32 FC4-i386-disc1.iso
-rw-------  1 cajun cajun 668708864 Jun 15 13:55 FC4-i386-disc2.iso

         ^

I believe your problem is here.  Disc2 needs to be +r so all users are read it.

Thanks Kam. I don't know why I didn't notice that. I assume that was caused by bittorrent. I tried to use it for the first time when downloading FC4. Neither of the sha1sums checked on the first two iso's. I ended up having to do rsync. I guess that is where the perms got changed around.

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl!

--

It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.
  15:20:01 up 50 min,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org