Re: Boot failure on FC4 install

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Tony Nelson wrote:

At 4:48 PM -0400 7/8/05, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
FC3 on that machine has no trouble reading the CDs.  I can't even boot the
CD far enough to carry out the media check step on that machine.  The CDs
pass the media check with no trouble on other machines.  As I said, I've
installed from them on other machines, and a boot.iso CD that I burned on
the drive in the machine in question also does not boot on that machine.

OK, so this shows that the CD drive in that machine can actually read this
particular CD.  The problem must be in FC4 software.

That's what I was thinking.  I'm now more sure than ever.

Should I bugzilla this under anaconda or something else?

Umm, have you fiddled around trying other kernel boot options, such as
"rhgb quiet", or removing "quiet", or type garbage the first time, etc.?

Yep, tried them all.

How can I get the sha1sum of the image on the disc itself?

On another machine, or using FC3.  It should already be installed.  I
expect that it's not your problem.

Actaully, I was asking for the syntax of a command to do it. "cat /dev/cdrom | sha1sum" won't work if the CD is burned with padding--it terminates with a read error and the wrong sum. I did find a solution using dd and specifying the correct block count, and the sha1sum of the CD is correct.

So I bought an ATAPI DVD writer (nice little Pioneer dual-layer number on sale at a local big-box electronics retailer for $60 after annoying mail-in rebate). Got that installed (had to return one defective unit) and FC4 booted and installed fine from there using the same disks.

FWIW, FC4 is working pretty well so far on machines I have it installed on except for Network Manager (known driver issue) and gnome-pilot.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu