Re: WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 09:34, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> 3 more installs later I still don't have a usable x-server like I
>>> had with the first install, seems the nv driver doesn't support 32
>>> bit, nor 1600x1200 screens, suddenly??.  And x-server problems
>>> notwithstanding, the last two installs have set eth0 up with only
>>> an ipv6 style address, and of course I have no networking.  yum of
>>> course loves that...
>>
>>I don't set up as an expert,
>
> Neither did I.  I just selected automatic disk partitioning
> on /dev/hda, and manual configuration of the network (which I did) as
> opposed to the default dhcp.  And 'everything'...
>
>>but it seems to me that the changes you are making are too
>> comprehensive. You would be better off pausing a little longer,
>>and trying to work out why one particular thing is not working.
>>
>>For example, if I had a problem with X I would try installing in
>> text mode, and then try to set up X later, using one of the several
>> tools available.
>
> I don't think there is, and I haven't found, a non gui install (linux
> text) that doesn't fail from a /dev/hda3 is busy condition.

You didn't say that.
You said that "the nv driver doesn't support 32 bit",
which seems to me to imply that you have the system working except for X.
(Yes, I know you have networking problems too.)

In any case, my point is that you seem to have brought up
at least 3 totally unrelated issues,
and apparently believe that repeated installation will resolve them.

>>I've never understood your problems with /dev/hda and /dev/hdb .
>
> Its real simple, both hda1 and hdb1 were marked as bootable, because
> hdb was originally hda & vice-versa.  The bios apparently doesn't
> care, and up till the last reboot last night, it was actually booting
> from the contents of /dev/hdb1 even though it wasn't mounted once
> booted, hda1 was.

Normally (that is, unless you go into the BIOS setup at boot-time
and alter the settings) the machine will boot from /dev/hda ,
that is, the master disk on the first controller.
It won't look at the MBR on /dev/hdb
(the master disk on the second controller) at all,
and it won't care what partition on /dev/hdb you have marked as active.

I would suspect that if you changed the two disks
then there is something wrong with your grub installation
or with the entries in /dev/fstab .
Personally, I would re-install grub with "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda",

I would guess the "busy /dev/hda3" is due to confusion over partitions.

>>I think that normally the computer will try to boot from /dev/hda
>>unless you have told the BIOS otherwise.
>>But if you install grub on the /dev/hda MBR it can certainly
>>find partitions on /dev/hdb .
>
> And vice-versa as has been proved here for quite some time.

I don't know what you mean by vice versa,
but the machine will not normally look at the MBR on /dev/hdb
(if that is what you are referring to).

>>As for IPv6, I think you can disable this by adding IPV6INIT=no
>>to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever)
>>and saying "service network restart" as root.
>
> But a 'service network restart' fails because it cannot allocate via
> kmalloc, 4GB of ram.  Thats a ridiculous error on the face of it, and
> has to be a real bug.
>
>>(Or you could remove the IPv6 module from /lib/modules/<version>/ .)
>
> Why should I have to, when in the installs network config, dhcp is
> disabled and the network configured by hand, and iptables and selinux
> is disabled since I'm behind a firewall?  I still have to add to
> the /etc/hosts file of course, but thats not helping now since it
> decided to use only ipv6 addressing according to an 'ifconfig eth0'
> report.

What do you mean by "configured by hand"?
When networking starts up,
it will look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
so what is in this file is highly relevant.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366