Re: WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 10:13, Michael wrote:

> If I post the contents of an E-mail, I sent to LXF (Linux Format
> Magazine) Letters, it would take of 3 Full Pages, on a 17" Monitor,
> and it would only be about Half the problems I had, trying to get a
> Current copy of Fedora Core, on to My PIII 600 Mhz Test Server. And I
> was starting with FC1, but I finally got FC4 to start, and Reboot.

The trick to avoiding problems with Fedora is to wait until towards
the end of a version's life.  Not past the end - you want a version
still being actively used, but you want to be able to immediately
do a 'yum update' to pick up the fixes for the problems others have
already experienced.  FC1 is too old since it is no longer being
updated - if you find a new problem it won't be fixed, and FC4 is
too new if you don't want to be involved in helping with the fixes.

> It has been running, almost Non-stop, for 18 days. Now  I realize that
> although I prefer the Gnome GUI, I should have installed it as a
> Text-based Install. Because I can't seem to install any additional
> software, like Exim 4.51, Rootkit Hunter, ClamAV, etc., onto the
> computer.

Please explain how you think a GUI is stopping you from installing
software.  Open a terminal and you can do anything you would do
in text mode.

> My experience goes back to a 4 Year Degree, in Management Information
> Systems, I received in 1977, from Mcgill University, in Montreal,
> Quebec, CANADA. That was the Good Olde Days when We entered everything
> by Punch Card. Alright, I wait a minute, till You all stop laughing.
>
> Everybody finished now?

Times have changed.  Computers are a lot more fun now.

> I may just start over and stick to Text-based, and stop at FC3. If I'm
> reading My System Log properly, somebody has been trying to hack My
> Root Account.

If you are on the internet and have ssh running, of course someone is
trying to hack your root account - probably many people.  Turn off
ssh if you don't need it yourself, and use good passwords. This has
nothing to do with the OS version you are running.

> SELinux is running, and I don't know if the problems
> that You are all talking about, may be adding to My Problems, but I am
> testing Fedora Core, on My server, for a Website, and will use CentOS
> 4.x, for My Workstations, and I don't need the problems.

That seems backwards.  Most people would want RHEL/CentOS for the server
because Linux server apps have been feature-complete for ages and there
is not much reason to upgrade frequently.  However, the Linux desktop
apps are evolving rapidly so you do see some good things from the Fedora
fast release cycle.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx