Re: WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Steven W. Orr wrote:

The problems with it are a mile long and I'm very disappointed that I upgraded my home machine.

I agree, so much so we reinstalled the previous FC from backup and are not going to update, all updates wil be done manually from kernel org and respective programs distro points, FC4 is ajoke, even most the install CD's fail until you make it in an error condition then running install, X is screwed, with fonts, video drivers that work on ealier versions dont in FC4, the list goes on and on and on...

* I have a Dell Dimension 4700 at work. The upgrade went fine from
 Core 3 to 4. Afterwards, I went to start X and it failed. The
 xorg.conf file was identical both before and after the upgrade,
 including after running system-config-display --configure. The fix,
 after a team of people poured 6 hours into it was to not use the
 VESA driver that it used before. The correct choice is to use the
 i810 driver. The writeup for it is here:

lol my previous that used this driver wont work, only the vesa driver does , hey maybe they renamed them backto front LOL (j/k but might as well hey haha)

I've seen unstable beta versions far superior and more stable :)

--
Cheers
Res