Re: Mplayer Frustrations - Getting Closer

C.Beamer wrote:

I ran your command from above with the appropriate substitution for the
url.  I did this as 'root' and the output is as displayed below.  I also
ran it as user "colleen", but the output was a bunch of garbage - it
said that mplayer couldn't be found and mplayer (the executable is
definitely in my path.  Anyway, the output as 'root':

Strange that you can't run mplayer as a regular user. This may
also be part of the problem since the mplayerplug-in really just
runs an mplayer command with a bunch of specific parameters.

Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: wmv9dmod.dll,
/usr/lib/win32/wmv9dmod.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/wmv9dmod.dll

As other poster has also said, you need to have the codecs
directly in the /usr/lib/win32 directory or make
/usr/lib/win32 a symbolic link to your /usr/local/lib/codecs
directory (as the other other poster said).

#2  A bit of further information.  Like I said, if I open a wmv file
from within media player, it works.  However, the only way it works is
with the following settings:

audio: aRts

video:  X11, gl, gl2

Any of the above settings for video work, if I use any other setting for
video from within Mplayer, I get sound, but no video.

I don't know why you aren't able to use the xv video output driver.
It's the best one since it uses your graphics card for accelerated
X video playback. Maybe your system does not support it.

Finally, some other notes I gleaned from the mplayerplug-in FAQ,

http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/faq.php

There is a newer version of the plugin available, 2.85. I built it
and installed it and it works slightly better, not hanging Firefox.

And there's something about cookie settings in your browser possibly
affecting mplayerplug-in video playback. You might play with your
cookie settings if all else fails with the codecs.

--Kenny