Re: Mplayer Frustrations - Getting Closer

C.Beamer wrote:
Kenny Gow wrote:

Anyway, a bit of digging around revealed that the CNN video wants
to use the WMV 9 codec. And, I just happened to have another PC
that I put FC4 on and installed mplayer from livna as you did. I
got the same problem as you did on this other PC when trying to
play CNN videos: audio, but no video.

The short story is that the livna mplayer packages do not install
the WMV codecs you need, specifically, the wmv9dmod.dll codec.

There are a couple of ways to get the codecs you need and install
them to the right place.

On the mplayer codecs page,

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html

Tried this and installed per instructions from a previous post to this
thread creating the sym links as outlined.

it can be confusing which pack to get. The easiest choice is the
"all" pack which contains all the codecs.

I've tried both the "essential" and the "all" packs.  Neither made any
difference.

The livna mplayer install creates the /usr/lib/win32 but it's empty
and that's the problem because that's where mplayer looks for the
WMV codecs. So you can either create a symbolic link as one of the
earlier posters described, or least copy the windows related
codecs, the ones that start with "wm" to /usr/lib/win32.

A somewhat cleaner alternative is to grab the Xine windows codec
package which comes in a nice rpm,

If you scroll down to the bottom of the Xine downloads page,

http://xinehq.de/index.php/releases

and click on the link cambuca...

and scroll to the bottom of that page, you can get the w32codec
package

http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/w32codec-0.52-1.i386.rpm

If you are unfamiliar with installing rpms, you can install it like
this (as root):

rpm -ivh w32codec-0.52-1.i386.rpm

which will populate the /usr/lib/win32 directory with the codecs
you need.

I installed the w32codec package on my other PC and then I could
see and hear the CNN video with Firefox and the mplayerplug-in.
Firefox still hangs after playing the video but at least you can
watch the video now.

I had no success installing the codecs packages from livna when I
tried.  However, I *did* get the w32codec package from atrpms and that
didn't help any.  I tried downloading the package from the xine site.
This was older than the atrpms package that I got, but I removed the
newer package and installed the older package, just in case it would
work.  No luck.

So I'm still at square 1 1/2.  But thanks for trying!  :-)

I'm not giving up that easily. What I did to figure out what codec the CNN videos wanted was copy down that URL you see when you get the audio but no video, and run it from a command line like this,

mplayer mms://wmscnn.stream.aol.com/cnn/nitn/2005/07/08/nitn.edition.12.cnn.ws.wmv

If you run that command (it's one line) in a terminal, it will show you what codec it's trying to use and whether it finds it. Could you try running that and posting the output?

Also, what's in your /usr/lib/win32 directory? From all you've described with the codecs, it ought to have the right codecs.

--Kenny