Re: Boot failure on FC4 install

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Kam Leo wrote:

On 7/8/05, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Following myself up:

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

Booting from CD 1 produces the boot screen.  Pressing Enter produces:

   ISOLINUX 3.08 2005-05-19 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying
   to wing it...
   isolinux: Found something at drive=9F
   isolinux: Found something at drive=81
   isolinux: Found something at drive=80
   isolinux: Looks like it might be right, continuing...
   isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

   Boot failed: press a key to retry...

This happens with a CD1 that burned correctly and has been used to install on
two other machines.  It also happens with a CD burned with boot.iso from the
images/ directory on the same drive I'm booting from.  Same result booting
with "linux nodma".

The machine is an Athlon T-Bird on an ASUS A7V motherboard.  The IDE
controller (hard disk) is a Promise Ultra-100.  The SCSI controller (CD-ROM
and <blush> SyJet drive) is a BusLogic BT-958.

This is definitely related to the SCSI controller or devices.  A similar
machine with an IDE CD-ROM boots with no problem.

Suggestions?

Still open to suggestions or an answer to the question:

        Why did FC3 work fine where FC4 fails so miserably?

TIA.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Do you have an existing OS installed on the machine that has problems
with the CD?  If so perform a media check using that machine.  Your
problem may be due to the CD drive not being able to read these FC4
discs.  I would suggest that you try different media and/or burn the
discs at a lower speed, e.g. 12X instead of 24X or higher.

FC3 on that machine has no trouble reading the CDs. I can't even boot the CD far enough to carry out the media check step on that machine. The CDs pass the media check with no trouble on other machines. As I said, I've installed from them on other machines, and a boot.iso CD that I burned on the drive in the machine in question also does not boot on that machine.

How can I get the sha1sum of the image on the disc itself?