OT: Knoppix on a usb hard drive (dual purpose)

I'm in search of advice on hwo to realise my wishes.

I would like to setup a 40 GB external usb hard drive so that if plugged in normally, a FAT32 partion can been seen in any OS, which would have my multimedia and data.

But I would also like that if I'm in a pinch, I can connect the drive preboot, and with the BIOS's permission, boot to the ext. drive, and have a knoppix install bootup, autodetect the hardware as necessary, and allow me to access my data.

I'd also like to keep the a home dir on the knoppix install synced with my currect home dir in FC4. Possibly even have the KDE's look the same etc.

Any ideas?