Re: Fedora Core 4 -- 1387 Kernel Problem Compaq nx9010 Laptop

ryan wrote:

Markus Huber wrote:

Jim Cornette wrote:

I can boot fine with kernel-2.6.12-1.1400_FC5 but get the same lockup seen with kernel-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4 as with kernel-2.6.12-1.1411_FC5. Are you using a system that relies ACPI to be functional? I cannot boot with either.

I'll do an update later this day on an HP zd7000 notebook which relies on ACPI and will report the behaviour.

Markus

Could this be similar to my problem where FC 3 kernels boot, but FC 4 ones do not?

The problem might be related to the differences between the way devices are managed between FC3 and FC4. Look into UDEV and other possibilities. I think the kernel is missing some features that the FC4 kernel used to have compiled in.

ACPI is a different issue, HP laptops cannot boot without it for some models. The model mentioned above and my HP ze4315us cannot boot without ACPI being functional.

Jim

--
"Love your country but never trust its government."
-- from a hand-painted road sign in central Pennsylvania