Re: FC4 good new tech, bad legacy support

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 19:53, Richard Kelsch wrote:
Since you haven't, in all your ranting, mentioned a single
specific bug that we might hope could be fixed and certainly not
fixed by waiting, what is your suggestion to make things better
here?
I mentioned them more than once, and even one of them in detail. If you're going to flame, be accurate.

I saw something about a perl module from CPAN not compiling
correctly, but nothing that resembled a bug report and nothing
that was sent to the author of the broken code - the only one
likely to be able to fix it.

I assure you, the author has a nicely detailed email explaining the process and where it broke. Unfortunately, I doubt the author has checked his SF email in the last two years, as a reply is still yet to arrive, and no fixes have been make to the CPAN tree.

I suspect the project's code will remain as-is, unfortunately. To tell you the truth, I'd be glad to ditch it if someone made a FFMpeg interface that works for Perl. The current implementation doesn't have the features needed, nor does it compile properly either (on FC3 and 4).

You never know, one of these days I'll get so ticked off at CPAN module writers ditching their code, that I might raid the book store and figure out C on my own, and dump Perl all together. Until then, I'm at the mercy of the module writers' poor C coding techniques.

Thanks for everyone's help. All of the issues I had were competently addressed to my satisfaction, despite the occasional, and to be expected, fanboy flame here and there by one or two. I do think we can move on to other topics as this one has had much more "play" than I anticipated.

Thanks again!

Rich