Re: Info: if your yum fails ... server maintenance : FC1 > FC4 FIXED

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:52:24 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote: [....]
> So don't be alarmed and think your yum is broken by doing nothing ;)
[....]
I had reported than one of my newly upgraded FC4 machines was still
failing yum update -- and been assured the trouble was on my end.

Quite true. One of my gurux found it, and a quick & easy fix for it.

Turns out the upgrade from FC1 is different than from FC2 or 3; somewhere
along in there, big (and very good) changes were made in yum -- and maybe
that's the reason.

Anyway, FC2 & 3 changed their configurations automagically when I upgraded
to FC4; but FC4 kept the old yum.conf I had had on FC1, gave me a new
file, named yum.conf.rpmnew, to replace that with -- and didn't tell me
so, or if it did I missed it or failed to understand it.

I had spotted the fact that the old yum.conf was still FC1's, and moved it
to a new yum.conf.fc1 to get rid of it;  but I didn't know what to replace
it with, much less that the replacement was already there and waiting,
until my excellent guru spotted that. (No doubt it's obvious to many.)

So I simply went into /etc as root; did "mv  yum.conf.rpmnew  yum.conf";
ran yum update again; and now it worked.

Once I had a current FC4, even pine (which had been especially
troublesome) went back to working like the charm it is.

Iirc, it was FC1 that first made the excellent shift over to yum; that was
one of its attractions for me, because I'd been using yum under YellowDog.

Suggestion : if much FC1 is left out there, the developers might want to
consider a routine for the installer that would detect an obsolete
yum.conf (if it doesn't already), and give some plainer more conspicuous
warning or advice or automagic fix or offer to fix (if it mentions it and
I missed it).

Anyway, my trouble is gone. If nobody sees any reason against the quick &
easy fix, I'll try to watch FC1 > FC4 threads here for a while, and
mention it if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1&4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;