Re: 'Nuther one

From: "Dave Jones" <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 07:23:19PM -0700, jdow wrote:
>  > From: "Alexander Dalloz" <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > > Please see the FC4 release notes. You just have to "install" the
kernel
>  > > src.rpm and then run "rpmbuild -bp ..." to have the source deflated
and
>  > > the patches applied. For reference please see "rpmbuild --help".
>  >
>  > Not quite it would seem. It insisted upon a target CPU. I'd have rather
>  > had a platform agnostic source rather than one neatly frumbled up into
>  > a platform specific collection of files. Ah well, seems the world
thinks
>  > this is inappropriate. <grumble>
>
> You get exactly the same source tree regardless of which arch you specify.

Oh, that's amusing. (Almost as amusing as the RELEASE-NOTES file. After I
cleaned up an editing glitch to get it to display right I tried to follow
the instructions - to the letter. (Can you tell I am feeling cranky today?
Working through a migraine is difficult. {^_-}) Anyway - what does this do?
(remembering I am in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS at the time.)

cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-<version> /usr/src/

I presume "mv" was meant instead of "cd".

That is followed by "mv linux-<version> /usr/src/" Um, there is no
"linux*" file in SPECS, guys. I presume something like this is meant:

ln -s kernel-<version> linux-<version>

or this:

mv kernel-<version> linux-<version>

Then the rest of the lines are more or less back to making sense.)

{^_-}