FC4, Gnome, and digital cameras

Udev on my FC4 install is set up to automatically create the device node for my digital camera (/dev/camera) when it's plugged in and turned on. No problems there. What I would like is to have the camera automatically show up on my Gnome desktop. When I navigate to its mountpoint (/misc/camera) autofs mounts the device, it appears on my desktop, and the Gnome photo importer dialog pops up. How would I get Fedora to automatically mount my camera's storage device and place it on the desktop when I plug it in?

And now that I think about it, is there any way to stop the photo importer from running whenever I access the camera? I don't need to "import" my pictures anywhere, I just need to open it in The Gimp.

thanks in advance for any help. Apologies if this has been posted before; I tried searching the list archives through Gmane but it seems to be acting up on me and I couldn't run any searches.