Re: vsftpd dead but subsys locked

From: "nick" <drehinsi@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help me trying enable vsftpd back to it normal state?
> ftp was working before but since I was editing the vsftpd.conf I've
> broken vsftpd, getting an error; vsftpd dead but subsys locked.
>
> I forget to take a backup of the vsftpd.config so I had to repalce the
> file from
ftp://vsftpd.beasts.org/users/cevans/untar/vsftpd-2.0.3/vsftpd.conf

> Still cannot get ftp to work, my next option is to
> unistall/re-install, does anyone know how I can unistall vsftpd or
> maybe fix vstftpd error?

If the other suggestions do not work I just saw this a couple days ago
on the test installation I did on my laptop. I looked into /etc/xinetd.d
and turned on the gssftp option hoping it was a sane tool. It appears it
is an ftp client that uses kerberos authentication, hence is useless for
my immediate needs. I turned it back off. And tried a service vsftpd start
incantation. It failed. Silly me, I forgot to restart xinetd first. So
gssftp was still listening on the required port. It's bad enough I failed
the restart. That it took 15 minutes for me to figure out my gaffe is,
for me, inexcusable. I should know better.

{^_-}    Joanne