Mail Server Help

Hi, I am new to linux, tried some distributions but i liked FC very
much and especially after the release of FC4 which is really amazing,
i decided to leave windows forever, but there is some programs that i
didn't find alternatives for it in linux.
i like to be able to send emails from my computer directly, i used to
do this in windows using "free smtp" program, but i don't know how to
do it in linux, do i have to configure a mail server, and if i have
to, what do i need to do that ??
can anyone help me with that plz ?
any help will be appreciated
thanks.