Re: Browsers for those IE-only sites

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Linux doesn't just work and work. It takes maintaining

It does take attention to keeping things patched regarding security and programs correctly maintained.
(yum, configuration).

I plug the windows box into the cable modem and I'm online.

I started with RHL 5.2 and it found my cable modem and I had no problem getting on line on first install. I did mess around with minux, slackware and RHL 4.2, but not connecting to the Internet.
Windows 95 on the other hand was a nightmare to get on line through the cable modem. It did not even install the tcp/ip protocol. Getting windows to even configure the 3COM Ethernet card was a task in and of itself. Linux did kill the functionality of this Ethernet card and Windows did eventually start to work and configure the 3com card. During the W95 time frame, windows had a "great idea" to reassign interrupts from working hardware to "make room" for new hardware. Adding the 3COM card to the w95 box reassigned interrupts for my dial up modem and sound card, making both non functional. I had to remove the 3COM card, boot up windows, lock down all settings to prevent auto-reconfiguration and then reinstall the NIC and use the driver floppies to get w95 to recognize the 3com.
Estimation to get windows on line, 3 days, Linux right after install.

The Linux box took me over two hours to get online, and that was while I was
 searching google on the windows machine for answers!

It sounds like you have the PPOE, in my case, DHCP works instantly. One thing to consider, they supply drivers for Windows and MAC, Linux needs to work as a community to provide information and programs to help you get connected. Your 2 hours is probably a lot shorter time than it would take me to get connected via PPOE or dial up. I avoided dial up modems because of the winmodems and the trouble this caused. I avoid PPOE vendors because I like DHCP and the lack of fighting to get on line.
Regarding Windows, I disabled Internet service for a short time and found out that I had to search for drivers for devices on the Internet quite frequently. With my extreme use of Linux vs. Windows and DHCP on the cable modem, I did not have to search for drivers to get my system operational. The community provided drivers and a whole lot of applications by default. I saved time not having to search for every driver for every device as was my experience with windows. Of course there were problems with Linux during its progression, CD burning was sticky to not there in early days. This changed later and one less reason to use windows. Eventually scanners started to work, cameras started to work. I only have a MP3 player that still needs windows. (Creative Nomad)
It all depends upon what hardware that you purchase and how capable the people building the Linux kernel and those building distributions progress. Neither one wins hands down. One you pay quite a bit out for software that may be built to not meet your needs. The other choice, you contribute your time, skills or sponsor projects to keep the work progressing.

I don't mind, but that may be because I like to get my hands dirty. Ety
doesn't.
She wants to use a computer, not maintain a computer.

Making sure that you do not have viruses, spyware and are not being hacked need some attention. Why do you think they have registry cleaners, antivirus software. Windows users usually spend a lot of money just to reduce the amount of malware fro infecting their systems. Our corporate computers are full of such programs and it does not appear to be changing.

Like going to the zoo to see elephants instead of raising one at home
(we have a
dog and a rat, no elephant).

I go to the library to use windows, no dung to cleanup after seeing the machine.

I happen to 1) like Linux, and 2) dislike windows. Thats why I use it.

Me too and I recall all the money that I wasted during DOS to W95 days. It is cheaper to run, safer to run. I find it easier to use also.

Ety likes 1) windows and 2) me.

My wife probably wouldn't convert to Linux if I begged her. I sure am not a good sales person, she still hasn't switched. Of course getting her off soaps is a challenge also.

BTW - The Netscape browser (version 8) can do IE off standard code. It can even run windows update successfully. If you want to, you can run Netscape 8 and crossover office .

Jim

Dotan Cohen

--
What's a cult?  It just means not enough people to make a minority.
       -- Robert Altman