Re: How can I use CD Player? + request for player recommendation

I noticed that the FC4 Gnome CD player appears to read audio via
IDE and actively write it to the sound interface without needing a
CD audio jumper to the sound inputs.  If I ctl-Z the player program
and suspend it, the sound stops.  Older CD players need the audio
jumper, and the audio keeps going even when the player is suspended.

Actually, I looking for a replacement for the old xmcd.  A key
requirement is the ability to program audio tracks in sequence and
get the timings (total/elapsed/remaining), since I plan radio airplay
lists.  The only CD player program I've seen that does it on Linux
is xmcd.

So why not stick with xmcd?  Unfortunately, the newer revs of xmcd
don't deal with the classic CDDB file format, and I have a lot of
custom CDs with their track info in the classic CDDB format; I can
enter the track info fastest by editing classic CDDB directly in
vi.  The other problem is that I can't get FC + old xmcd to correctly
display CDDB info with Latin-8 or UTF-8 characters.

Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                except when indicated otherwise.