Re: Yum repros wanted

Temlakos wrote:
Sean O Sullivan wrote:

The more repo's you want, the more conflicts and dependancy issues you will have - it is not a good idea to add every repo you can find.

Personally, base/updated-released/extras, then dag and freshrpms are very reliable I find. atrpms i usually fine, although wouldn't use for a server. Other than that wouldn't touch many others - especially not livna ( http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D )

Regards,

Sean

Are you sure about that? The way I heard it, livna and extras were part of the same mold. Now I'll let Dag and Axel speak for themselves, but the impression I got from following the link you gave is that they wouldn't even want you to use extras, just because the extras maintainers won't "play nice" with them.

Well for compatibility I decided to take Livna out anyway, I rarely have any issues with what I mensioned, if any arise, it is due to atrpms (however this is rare, and atrpms are also very good, I am in no way critising them).

Back to your main point: if I were still using yum or apt, I'd agree with you--in which case I wouldn't use anything beyond base, updates-released, extras, and livna, and if I wanted anything from any other repo I'd wget it and run rpm -Uvh on it. But with the smart package manager, I can set priorities on the various repos to avoid such conflicts. Smart will even /repair/ any conflicts that it finds when I first install it. (Edit->Fix All Problems...)

Yes I tried smart, and was very impressed very quickily.
However, I recall I had some problem updating /something/ and for that reason I reverted back to yum ... cannot remember what it was, however I do intend to keep an eye on smart, and will probably go back to it at some point.

Regards,

Sean