FC4 and kjournald

After installing FC4 onto a blank ext3 partition, I've noticed that kjournald seems a lot more aggressive than it used to be on my FC3 machine. Whenever I install an RPM, compile something, or decompress an archive, my machine becomes jerky and unresponsive. Running top shows that kjournald is using ~50% of available CPU at these times. My previous install used the exact same hardware, partition layout and format, and filesystem mount options, and did not experience this problem.

/etc/fstab shows that the partition is mounted using the default mount options. I don't know what arguments, if any, are being used for kjournald as I don't know where to look.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Where could I look for more information? Is there any way to avoid it?

thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

--
Dan Orzechowski
SAIC Marine Science and Technology Division