Re: ATi Mobility Radeon 9800 drivers

On 6/19/05, R L <fedora26@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to get drivers for my Inspiron notebook.  It has a ATi
> Mobility Radeon 9800.  I am using a custom kernel that I downloaded
> and compiled, 2.6.12.  When I:
> yum install ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx-`(uname -r)` , there is no
> module for 2.6.12.  How would I install the drivers in my situation?
>
> And this is totally unrelated and I didn't want to start another
> email, but has anyone successfuly GHOSTED (Norton Ghost) a Fedora Core
> 4 drive?  In Fedora Core 3 you couldn't do that.  There would be
> errors.  Wondering if FC4 would be any different.  Probably not.
>
> --

Norton Ghost 8 (and possibly lower) works fine with FC3 and FC4 if you
add the -IA (I think) command line switch. On the BartPE disk I have
with Ghost 8 it's listed as the Sectory Copy option. With this option
it will work fine.

To install the ATI drivers you will need to find a src.rpm and compile
it specifically for your kernel and install it that way. It should be
a reletively painless process (it is for the nvidia src.rpms). There
should be instructions in the spec file for the command line options
you'll need. To find the src.rpm just use rpm.pbone.net or
rpmfind.net. rpm.livna.org should have the src.rpm somewhere.