Re: Up2date Question

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 00:34 +0200, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:

> >I updated to FC4 last night. I'm using the RH up2date
> >> with
> >> http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/
> >> as my mirror.
> >>
> >> When I click on "Launch up2date" it comes back with
> >> "There was a fatal error communicating with the
> >> server.  The message was:
> >>
> >> An HTTP error occurred:
> >> Status Code: 404
> >> Error Message: Not Found
> >>

> >> It seems that it is looking for a "headers" folder
> >> that doesn't exist in the FC4 updates as it did in
> >> FC3.
> >> I can't locate where I need to edit this.
> >

> >You missed to search for this issue in the list archive of the last few
> >days.
> >Use the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.rpmnew file as the repository format
> >changed and up2date has to reflect that. You old sources file has
> >obsolete entries.
> >
> >Alexander
> >
> Hi,
> I have the same trouble with up2date. Everytime I launch it I am asked
> to activate it. Then I can launch it and I receive the same error code.
> I only have one /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file, no ...sources.rpmnew
> file. I added yum url's in order to make it work, but this was not very
> succesful.

That would be because yum has historically used two different types of
metadata, one in a "headers" directory created by a program called
"yum-arch" (used in older versions of yum supplied with Fedora Core 1
and 2), and one in a "repodata" directory created by a program called
"creaerepo" (used by the yum supplied with FC3 and FC4). The version of
up2date supplied with FC4 can in theory use either type of metadata, and
it distinguishes between the two by using a "yum" repository for the old
style metadata and a "repomd" repository for the new style metadata. The
FC4 repositories don't include any "headers" directories because they're
no longer needed, so specifying a "yum" style repository won't work for
an FC4 repo.

> The file looks like this:
> /$ cat /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
> ### This describes the various package repositories (repos) that up2date
> will
> ### query for packages. It currently supports apt-rpm, yum, and "dir" repos.
>
> ### Format is one repository (repo) entry per line, # starts comments, the
> ### first word on each line is the type of repo.
>
> ### The default RHN (using "default" as the url means use the one in the
> ### up2date config file).
> #up2date default
>
> ### Note: when a channel label is required for the non up2date repos,
> ### the label is solely used as an internal identifier and is not
> ### based on the url or any other info from the repos.
>
> ### An apt style repo (the example is arjan's 2.6 kernel repo).
> ### The format is:
> ### type  channel-label      service:server         path        repo name
> #apt arjan-2.6-kernel-i386 http://people.redhat.com ~arjanv/2.5/ kernel
>
> ### Note: for apt repos, there can be multiple repo names specified (space
> ### seperated).
>
> ### A yum style repo. The format is:
> ### type  channel-label     url
>
> yum fedora-core-4
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/$ARCH/os/
> yum updates-released-fc4
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/$ARCH/
>
> yum-mirror fedora-core-4
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/fedora-core-4
> yum-mirror updates-released-fc4
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc4
>
> #yum my-favorite-rpms http://my.local.domain/fedora/linux/core/$ARCH/
>
> ### A local directory full of packages (a "dir" repo). For example:
> #dir my-favorite-rpms /var/spool/RPMS/
>
> ### Repo Metadata
> # Note that setting this makes up2date look in /etc/yum.repos.d/ for
> # repository configuration.
> # type channel-label url
> repomd fedora http://fedora.redhat.com/
>
> # Multiple versions of all repos except "up2date" can be used. Dependencies
> # can be resolved "cross-repo" if need be.
> /
> Does this look allright?

You'll need to get rid of the "yum" repos as they won't work.

> Another funny thing is that up2date seems to be confused about the
> fedora-version when it shows the channel information.
> For instance the channel-information of the fedora-unstable channel says:
>  http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/*2*/i386/RPMS.unstable
> so it is thinking I am running fc2 instead of fc4.
> Can somebody please help me on this? Yum is working fine so I can get
> updates, but I allways found the up2date alert-icon very practical.

My work machine behaves like this, except it thinks I'm running FC3
rather than FC2:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-June/msg02626.html

A workaround of changing $releasever to 4 fixes up2date for the moment,
but the applet still doesn't work.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>