Re: FC2 - FC4 dual boot?

On Sunday 19 June 2005 13:21, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >  Just downloaded FC4, and am willing to try it. However, because I see
> >  there are a lot of issues with virtual consoles, nvidia, vmware
> >  etc., that are important to me, I am not willing to give up my stable
> >  (and heavilly tweaked) FC2 system.
> >
> >  The setup: I have four partitions: /, /secondroot, /home and swap.
> >  /secondroot is empty (I once planned to use it to build LFS, but
> >  never had the time to do it...), and I would like to do a clean FC4
> >  install on it (so for FC4 that would be /, and FC2 / would be mounted
> >  somewhere inside or not at all).
> >
> >  The questions: 1) I want /home to be used with both FC2 and FC4. I
> >  know nothing about selinux, but have read (on this list) that it does
> >  some "autorelabeling" or whatever. Is selinux going to make any
> >  physical change to the filesystem (ext3) on /home that would render
> >  it unusable under FC2 afterwards? (this is very important, because
> >  /home is 63 GB full, and I am not willing to lose all that data).
>
> Between FC2 and FC4 there are changes that could impact the config files
> for different applications using two different versions using the same
> home. I would think  more as to keeping the versions seperate.
>
> >  2) How to setup GRUB? Currently it is in the MBR on /dev/hda, with
> >  two stable kernels. Should I let FC4 installation to modify that or
> >  should I choose "do not install GRUB" and modify it manually after
> >  installation?
>
> There is a selection called advanced bootloader options during the
> installation process. If you select from the pulldown menu to install
> the bootloader in partitions or /mbr locations of drives, grub should
> install in this partition. I use the /boot partition for all but the
> controlling installation in their respective partitions. I have a
> development, FC3 and an FC4 booting this way off of two disks and they
> work .
>
> Say that you select the advanced boot loader options and install the FC4
> grub onto /dev/hdb1 which is the /boot partition for your new FC4
> installation. When you reboot your computer, it will boot back into the
> FC2 grub instance on /mbr. You would need to add an entry to chainload
> FC4 in much the same way as a windows entry would be.
>
> >  3) What is the name of the rpm package containing kernel-devel and
> >  does it have any dependencies that are not on the 4 distribution cds?
>
> Kernel-devel matches the version of the kernels you have installed, if
> you remove a particular kernel later, kernel-devel does not get removed.
> I believe the only dep is to have a matching kernel for the devel package
>
> >  I don't have an Internet connection to use yum, need to download rpms
> >  on a windows machine, burn them to a cd, and then bring them home...
> >  (that is the reason I have never installed xine, could not satisfy
> >  all dependencies manually). From what I read on the list,
> >  kernel-devel is needed by nvidia drivers.

> [...]

Thanks for the thoughts. Of course, I'll backup all critical data and will try
to do my best in keeping FC2 and FC4 separate. As far as /home is concerned,
I will create separate users and their dirs for FC4, in order to keep
configuration files separate, and I think now that the best way is to put
FC4 /home into it's / partition and not mount /home, because there might be a
collision concerning UIDs and GIDs between the two versions. And when I
become satisfied with FC4 usability and stability, I'll migrate to /home,
carefully.

Tommorow I'll go into all this, and will report progress, if anyone is
interested. :-)

Best regards,
Marko