Re: PPTP installation-configuration in FC4?

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 17:25 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:50:59 +0200, Bo Berglund
> <bo.berglund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >I have now installed FC4 Final on my PC and my next task is to get a
> >VPN channel up to a remote network where the CVS server (Windows 2000)
> >resides.
> >This network is accessible via Microsoft PPTP VPN protocol so I need
> >to set this up on FC4. Earlier I did this on FC3 but it was rather
> >involved and I am told that it is more or less included inside FC4, so
> >I would like to use that capability if possible.
> >But being new to Linux/Fedora (the FC3 was an experiment a few weeks
> >ago) I don't know how to find my way around the environment so I
> >cannot find this item. All I seem to reach is some config screens
> >where I can add more NIC:s, but that is not what I want to do...
> >
> >If I go here:
> >http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml
> >they have FC4 on the sidebar but the link lands on an article about
> >FC3...

The FC3 instructions were cut-and-pasted into a page for FC4 because the
FC3 instructions were found to work on FC4. I'll notify the author to
change the reference to FC3.

> So I went ahead anyway and performed the suggested actions except
> before each rpm download/install I first tested with yum and this
> worked partly:
>
> yum install dkms
> rpm --install kernel_ppp_mppe-0.0.5-2dkms.noarch.rpm
> modprobe ppp-compress-18 && echo success

Did this work (the word "success" appeared?)?

> yum install pptp
> yum install libxml libglade
> rpm --install php-pcntl-4.3.10-1.i386.rpm
> rpm --install php-gtk-pcntl-1.0.1-2.i386.rpm
> rpm --install pptpconfig-20040722-6.noarch.rpm
>
> For the last 3 I received warnings about DSA key missing and users and
> groups missing.
>
> Now I am stuck at the "run pptpconfig as root" command...
> When I enter pptpconfig in the terminal window that I created as user
> and then did su - to get to root, the response is:
> "command not found"
>
> This happens on the line following the rpm --install of the pptpconfig
> rpm.
>
> Did I miss something obvious here?

You should be able to run pptpconfig as a regular user and be prompted
for the root password. There should also be a "PPTP Client" menu option
on the gnome "Internet" menu.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>